Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Iowa Visit

I just returned from a visit to Iowa to see my Mom and some of my brothers. Mom was recently moved to an Alzheimer's facility  and my sister and I went to pay her a visit and see how she was doing. The residence is beautiful and she seems to be adjusting. Friendly staff and she is well looked after.
 The  family home has been cleared out and listed for sale, so we can finance her situation. One afternoon we met at my brother's place and went through items of family value.  I was delighted to see that the  Dresden Plate quilts made by my Great grandmother had survived!
Celia Hagarty Rathgeb made two identical Dresden Plate quilts. One for each of her daughters. I knew my mom had the one passed down from her mother, but I was surprised to see she had both! This quilt is the one in better shape. Each plate has 15 blades and is 7 1/2 inches and the block is 10 inches. This is a smaller plate than is normally seen.  The sashings have a cable design quilted in them and a larger cable is quilted in the outside borders. Around the plate is a floral design and a florette in the cornerstones! All hand pieced and quilted. Pink thread in the pink sashings and border and white everywhere else. That's a lot of quilting! And then to do it twice !!















This has always been my favorite quilt pattern and I am so happy to have these quilts. My mom knew that I would treasure them.
 I am sorry that I didn't get pictures of the other quilts that went to family members which were made by Mother, but am sure I can visit them at my siblings houses.

Now it's time to do laundry, catch up and load a quilt on the frame!

No comments:

Post a Comment